Sunday, December 05, 2004

Welcome to The Pixel Mine

I love, love video games. Always have. I didn't just want to play games, I wanted to make them. That has to be somebody's job, right? As I got closer and closer to leaving college and entering the real world, I was determined to find a job making games. Easier said than done. How the heck do you find a job like that? The local paper? The gaming industry is very secretive. What skills do you need? Who do you talk to? Where do you find game job listings? What is a job in the gaming industry actually like?

I did my research, I asked around, I spammed countless companies, and three years ago I landed myself a job making games. Wahoo! It wasn't exactly easy, and since I still haven't found one place with the answers to these questions, I thought I'd do my best to shed some light on the subject.

I might just post ideas as they come to me, or if there's interest I might answer questions. Or I might get too busy and abandon the blog completely. :-) I'm open to comments and suggestions, so let me know how I'm doing.

If you're wondering where "The Pixel Mine" came from, well, working in the games industry is a bit like a coal mine. Long hours, not so great pay, and everyone wants to mine coal when they grow up. On second thought... well, it's too late to change it now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous pixel said...

Cool Blog Here! I have a pixel web site If want to promote your web site on my http://www.pixelhurricane.com website the cost is $497.00 for a 100 block of pixels but it will get your site listed in the top of the search engines. pixel

February 3, 2006 at 4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home